Friday, April 30, 2010

Carport Gym Tour

I spent the afternoon assembling my Home Depot axle and then taking it for a test spin, along with a few yoke pickups. I decided to take a few pictures and give all (both) of my readers a quick tour of my home gym setup. I also train at SWAT Gym in Auburn, Alabama for most of my barbell/dumbbell training. On the weekends though my training partners and I usually break out the toys at home and make the neighbors stop and stare.

I got a 1 and 1/2" inside diameter galvanized steel pipe from Home Depot cut to 7'6" and put pipe clamps 17" from the ends. Then I took a chainsaw file and marked the center and the rings 16" from center, just so I would have a reference point. My cheap bumpers fit nicely, as the outside diameter is just under 2". The total cost was about $35 dollars. Now, it isn't a heavy duty, press 450lb. kind of axle, but right now, it's all I need.

Next up is my tire collection. From left to right: 385lb., 540lb., 650lb., 750lb. The 540lb. tire is my go-to conditioning multi flip tire. The 650 is a loaner from my training partner and difficult to flip due to lack of hand holds. The 750lb. is ridiculous, and the day I can bang out a dozen flips on that things is the day I'm somebody. This is actually also a good shot of my yoke that I had made a few years back. It's not adjustable, as it was made for me and my height, it handles 700+ lbs. with ease.

A few stones, a stone mold I should be taking better care of, my homemade frame that has easily taken 650lb. or better for a ride, my homemade tire sled, and my black treasure chest of goodies.

In the treasure chest are a collection of 15kg red Panatta Sport plates (Bill Kazmaier's old equipment company). I bought these from Sue Kazmaier when Kaz Fitness Center closed down in downtown Auburn (boy, that was a good gym). I'm assuming these were some of Bill's collection from back in the day. I've also got my rolling thunder and various other bits and pieces of things in here.

Inside the carport closet I've got a Keg of Sand (~250lb.), a nice stack of 45lb. plates, 50ft. of 1.5" manilla rope, 3 bars, my log and a few other small plates. All in all, I have no excuses for being as weak as I am. It is a pretty good setup.

Finally, here is all my adoring fans. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Gracie The Wonder Hound. She is 1/3 Bassett Hound, 1/3 Yellow Lab, 1/3 Human Being. And without a doubt the best dog in the world. If the door is open she'll sit and watch until she gets bored, which usually doesn't take very long.

So that's my home gym setup. I feel like I've got a good little place to train. Now if I can just find the time....

2 comments:

Timeflies said...

Zac, this is so awesome! And as usual, your pictures look great! I LOVED the home gym tour. I have always been curious about it, but we usually have so much else to say once we see each other that I never get around to it. Thanks for the insight! Love, Amy (aka Reader #1)

"Gym" Whisman said...

Reader #2 here. Nice set up Zac.