Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Where I got hooked

In 2007 I had the opportunity to go to America's Strongest Man in Charlotte, NC. It was produced as sort of a side show to the NASCAR Speed Street festivities in downtown.

It was a good year for Strongman. This ASM contest included names like Brian Shaw, Steve MacDonald, Nick Best, Travis Ortmayer, Derek Poundstone, Van Hatfield, and Chad Coy just to name a few.

It seems hard to believe, but I didn't have a digital camera in 2007, So these were taken with my trusty Canon Elph (remember advantix film?). After I took these pictures, the camera sat untouched in the console of my wife's Yukon for the last three years, no kidding. A few weeks ago my dad was visiting and making a trip to Wal-Mart and I got him to drop the film off. Our Wal-Mart no longer does on site processing so they had to be sent off (alot has changed in photography in three years). Anyway, here is a few pictures of the only professional strongman show I've been to. It was very cool to watch and I think I drank about twenty complimentary Monster Energy drinks over the course of the two day show.

Brian Shaw on the Log Press for Reps, I forget the weight.




Steve MacDonald getting ready to press


Van Hatfield getting set for the Engine Block carry and Load


Derek Poundstone after the Engine block load and discovering that he had already won by points, I don't think it was even the second day yet.


A tenacious but undersized Chad Coy


Nick Best getting ready on the Block Press


Those Blocks were hot

Nick Best on the 700lb. Deadlift for reps



Steve MacDonald deadlifting

Travis Ortmayer, who withdrew due to back injury after the first two events, on the block press


Derek Poundstone after the deadlift


And Van Hatfield after a solid deadlift performznce



All in all, it was alot of fun to watch the pros at work, and now some of these names are the best in the world at what I love, I'm glad I was there. I think my log press went up 20lbs. just smelling their sweat.

No comments: