Monday, July 6, 2009

Rainy Days and Mondays



I took off work for a whole week, and we are headed to the beach tomorrow. It picked today to rain and that was fine by me. Hopefully, it will get it out of it's system before we arrive on the Alabama Gulf Coast tomorrow.

I wanted to get in a "main thing" workout today and then take off a few days before getting back into a regular training schedule in the coming weeks. As you read previously, my primary weaknesses are stones (from lap to platform) and side-handle deadlifts. I tackled both today in sort of a primer for the coming weeks just to gauge where I'm at.

I stacked up my bumper plates on a loading pin to do some keg squats. This really reminds me of those ring stacker toys for babies... This is the strongman version. Here, I simply wanted to replicate the transition from lap to platform involved in stone loading. I also felt like this was a good accessory to the front squats. I worked up to 220 x 2 sets of 3 (all I could do to hold onto it).

Next I did some frame deadlifting. There is somthing about a side-handle deadlift that ties my lower back in knots. I broke out my frame that I made up to practice for GSM (turns out it was almost the exact dimensions)and I worked up in sets of five. I've got a dozen red Panatta Sport 15kg plates that Sue Kazmaier sold me when Kaz Fitness Center closed in downtown Auburn. I have no doubt these were some Kaz had made when he was in the fitness equipment business. Likely, from his personal collection. I always wondered if I should Ebay them...


Anyway, I loaded it up to 480lbs for 5 then went for 620 for 1, couldn't budge it, could have knocked me over with a feather. So I dropped down to 580lbs pulled for 1 with excellent form, pulled again, my back rounded, back tied in a sailor knot, and I was done for the day. Good form is going to be key in keeping my low back healthy, and I went totally raw on all sets because I wanted to work on tighness and not rely on a belt. I've likely pulled my last heavy single on these for a long time. Now I'm just going to work in sets of five and eight until I get my strength back.

It was a rainy day under the carport, but I got alot of work done. My old faithful hound was my only audience as she sat behind the storm door as she usually does and watched me work. Apparently all that watching made her tired she's slept on my foot the whole time I've typed this. So tomorrow I'm headed to the beach and I'm going to take a few days off. Much serious training is ahead of me in the coming weeks, but, for now, this strongman is going to get some sun, listen to the waves, eat some seafood, and take a few dozen naps. Thanks for reading, have a great week.

No comments: