Monday, June 29, 2009

Front Squats and Tomato Sandwiches


Today was a day of firsts. It was the first time I front squatted in at least 5 years (and you could tell). Today was also the day I walked to my garden on the side of the house and picked my first red, ripe, juicy big boy tomato. Now, well get back to the training here in a minute...

I'm born and raised in the south. In addition , I'm a connoisseur of fine southern cuisine. The finest of that cuisine may just be a tomato sandwich.

Now, I'm going to make a bold recommendation to Southern (and all ) Strongmen everywhere - Eat more tomato sandwiches. Here are some easy steps you can follow.
  1. get a red, ripe, (not store bought) tomato.
  2. get two pieces of white sandwich bread (unfortunately all I had was wheat)
  3. get some mayonnaise
  4. slice the tomato
  5. apply the mayonnaise to the bread
  6. make the sandwich
  7. feel the molten hot surge of strength go to your muscles and go deadlift like a Gillingham.
So, back to training. I front squatted and my vastus medialis's are feeling the burn. I plan on alternating these with my band squats. My back has really been giving me fits since the contest, so after my front squats I did some leg pressing just to take the heat off my back. I also threw in some heavy abdominal work just to see if some muscular imabalances might be the issue with the back pain, I'm going to keep these steady in the routine.

Now, go eat yourself a Tomato Sandwich... and some biscuits, and some grits, and some fried chicken, and some watermelon... Feels good to be a Southern Strongman...

No comments: