Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Out of the hole

Competition is the only means by which a strength athlete really discovers their limitations and weaknesses. With my second contest behind me, I was quickly able to identify areas that need attention. I could have made a list a mile long, but I can't fix a mile long list before October. So, instead, I picked three things. These are the three things that cost me a decent placing at GSM and since they are applicable to my next contest (I think) they are the three things I will address most heavily in the coming weeks.



  1. Log Press / Overhead press strength

  2. Stones

  3. Axle / Sidehandle deadlifting

Simple enough. Let's start with #1. Traditionally I have been a poor presser, but that is no excuse. Being that my next contest features a Max log press, I can put the notion of pressing for reps out of my head and focus on getting a respectable maximum lift. I have always been able to move anything off my chest, the bottom portion of the lift has never been an issue. Lock out and mid range strength has been. I likely will abandon bench pressing in favor of floor pressing with a shoulder width grip, just to work the top portion of the lift and my triceps. I also plan on including Heavy weight low volume log pressing in my weekly routine and plan on being a technician in regard to the push-jerk technique, which means I'll have to be comfortable catching a heavy log overhead in a half squat position (and not just during warmups). Something I find difficult to do. So, to summarize, Log press alot, Triceps alot, and put some Olympic in my log press. Goal = 300lb. press in October.



#2. The stones cost me and I failed to finish strong. So Saturday I'm going to pour me a ~290lb 21" stone, because, as someone told me, it's not necessarily the weight as much as the diameter that matters. I need to get used to a larger stone as well as a heavier one. Also, sigh, I guess I'll start front squatting. I tried to avoid it, but I think it's necessary if I'm ever going to get out of the hole. What I am doing right now instead is box squats to a 9" box with medium bands. I'm going to rotate these into my front squats until I can go heavier on them. I can lap a very heavy stone, I just can't get started up. Other accessory exercies are going to be keg squats (probably going to use a loading pin and bumper plates), handle squats standing in a tire, and Svend Karlsen presses. Goal = 4 out of 5 stones in under 30 seconds



#3 If you had told me at the beginning of the GSM contest that I wouldn't have been able to budge a 650lb. frame I wouldn't have believed you. Three weeks prior I picked up a 670 frame and held it for a several seconds. My deadlift strength, in any regard has always been hit or miss, So I'm going to work good form sidehandle style deadlifting and axle deadlifting. To help we these I'm going to go back to my old friend the good morning. I haven't done these in a while and it shows. My hamstring and erectors are obviously lagging and out of shape, so in addition to the deadlift, the good morning is going to be my bread and butter. Goal = 600lb axle deadlift, 750lb frame deadlift.

So there it is, my big three. The things that seem most important to me right now in terms of showing well at the October contest in Tennessee. I'll be establishing baseline numbers in the next few days so I'll know where to start. Stay tuned.

No comments: