Sunday, June 14, 2009

Georgia's Strongest Man 2009

We arrived at the Fitness Depot on around 9am Est. yesterday morning, the sun was already getting hot as we were setting up our canopy next to the venue. I was as anxious about this as I have been about anything. My goals for my second outing in strongman were simple; set personal records, don't scratch on any event, fight to the end, and don't come in last place. I got three out of the four, but considering the talented group across the board, I was happy to hang in there.

After going through some warmups on the equipment and playing around on the Conan's Wheel, Scott Helms(the meet promoter) and Tom Kaufman (Head Judge) gathered us all together for the rules meeting, And then we were off to finish warmups and get ready for the contest.

The log clean and press for reps with 255lbs. was up first. And I tied my best log press on the first press with a good lift. My second press attempt I lost control of when it drifted behind me, forcing me to drop the log, after that failed attempt I cleaned it again but just didn't have it in me to get it overhead. Lonny Fehr, who holds the amateur world record in the log press, came up behind me a tried to talk me through getting one more good press, but it just wasn't in me. Lonny, who was also competing in the SHW, consistently did this for many athletes during the day, taking time to motivate, coach, and contribute to the success of the other competitors. I can't say enough good things about him, Mark Cummings (LA State Chair for NAS) and all the Louisiana crew that came to the show. Lonny, Jim, and some of the other guys got up and showed how it was done as their reps on the log dang near entered the double digits.

The Conan's Wheel, which I had been apprehensive about, turned out to be not as bad as I thought, I actually beat a few folks on this one, but it was a beast.

The Medley is where I had a meltdown. The 270lb farmers never felt comfortable in my right had so 8ft. from the finish the I dropped the weight, it rattled me. I then did a second pick with the farmers to get it to the finish line, and ran over to the frame only to find it glued to the ground. My new friends Brad Stanford and Jim Whisman both got the unwieldy frame off the ground and went a considerable distance with it. One of the highlights of the day, came with Mac McAllister finishing the medley of 270lb farmers./650lb frame/~350lb tire sled drag. In talking with Mac shortly before the event I said "I've been dreading this all day", and he said "I've been looking forward to this". He no doubt came prepared and knocked it out. In the picture to the right you see Master's winner Cedric Woriax chalking up for a great medley run himself.

The tire flip was the fourth event... I hate a tire flip. But the tire they used for the heavies was a 750lb beauty that is nearly identical to the one next to my carport right now. So I managed five flips and was glad to get 'em, another pr for that big a tire, I'm sure plenty of folks got all ten flips. I know Jim "oak tree" Whisman did.

The stones were last, I taped up and slathered my self in tacky and waited my turn. I had run out of steam, but I just had to gut out one more. I loaded the heaviest stone I've ever loaded by putting up the 290lb second stone. I got the 310lb third stone in my lap but just didn't have the juice to put it up. Fellow strongman Jim Whisman had the gas in the tank to make it through four stones and secured his second place spot while 1st place Lonny Fehr and 3rd place Mac McAllister looked on.



I've spent the last few months training for GSM '09 and I knew I wouldn't be the strongest, but was glad to hang in there and have a good time. At the end of the day it was time to pack up and head back to Sweet Home Alabama. Now to rest up, go back to the gym and get ready for the next one. I want to thanks Scott Helms and Dane Garreau for running a smooth, entertaining, efficient show. Thanks to Tom Kaufman for spot on judging. Also thanks to Lonny Fehr, Mark Cummings, Jim Whisman, Brad Stanford, Kevin Morgan, Cedric Woriax and all the other competitiors for all the advice and motivation before during and after the contest. It was a great day, and what strongman is all about.

1 comment:

"Gym" Whisman said...

Great job yesterday Zac...train hard and we'll see you soon