Friday, April 15, 2011

Diet: Day 15



Frankly, I am shocked by this number. I fully anticipated not losing any weight this week. Typically, week two is where you give up from not seeing any results. Anybody can drop 8-9 lbs. in week 1, it takes nerve to not lose a pound in week 2 and keep going. If you ever hear anyone say, "I've tried all the diets and none of them work" That means that they dieted until day 10, while weighing themselves everyday, stopped seeing immediate progress and then gave up and hurried to the office birthday party before all the cake was gone.

I don't weigh everyday, I might check the scale midweek just to make sure I'm not being stupid. For instance, I weighed in Wednesday morning at a 295lbs., rather than panic and assume I am doomed to live a life of obesity, I just kept on keeping on, had some fiber and a few blog worthy bowel movements, and this morning when it counted... everything was alright on the scale.

My total weight loss to date is 12.4 lbs. My cargo shorts from last summer that were obscenely tight are just a little bit less obscenely tight, and I'll have to soon take in my weightlifting belt a notch. My gym lifts haven't suffered much, but I can tell that I'm staying sore longer after a heavy session, but any calorie deficit will hurt your body's ability to recover. I'm trying to counteract this as much as possible with a high protein intake.

The thing that stands out the most about this diet, and my wife agrees, is not getting any good sleep. My sleeping has been terrible, and my energy late in the day is also terrible. Anyone who says "I feel great" on a diet is kidding themselves or not doing it right. I feel inflamed, agitated, and tired by the end of the day, then, unable to sleep well. Honestly, the days I felt on top of the world were the days I trained hard and heavy and then pounded a 32oz. whole milk and ice cream protein shake and 3 Whopper Jr.'s and slept like a grizzly bear, but this ain't forever.

I am taking a few nutritional supplements. Just FYI. The list is short, simple, and there are no magic beans on the list.

  • Fish oil, because Dan John said so

  • Flaxseed Oil, another Omega 3

  • Vitamin C

  • Multi-Vitamin

  • Naproxen / anti-inflammatory as needed

  • Whey protein powder if you can count that

No real rants or anything else to speak of. I hate dieting, that's why you do it 6-8weeks out of the year and then go enjoy your life. If I get to 286lb. next week I'm going to the Chinese Buffet.

No comments: