Friday, April 8, 2011

Diet: Day 8





Booyah.

So, yes, with the low-carb style diets there is an initial boost of weight loss from water, it works well at giving instant results. But I haven't lost almost nine pounds of water.

As mentioned in my previous post my diet has been quality protein (meat, eggs, cheese) and mostly vegetables with a diet coke or some chocolate whey protein for sweet tooth/snack control. I haven't really counted calories, and I usually just eat until I feel full (fill up on the good stuff). The key for me has been protein and fat intake. I haven't gorged on fatty foods, but I haven't avoided them either. Fat gives a sensation of satiety, one of the many reasons low-fat diets leave you starving.

In the mornings I've been trying to eat as many eggs as I can stomach. Usually about five, but after yesterday watching the Oprah episode where she and her staff went vegan for a week, and some anemic blonde woman (Kathy Freston, who isn't a nutritionist by the way) was telling the audience how much "better you feel" going vegan (with your 500$ a week grocery bill from Whole Foods) and then how our appetites should "not be more valuable than an animal's life" yadda, yadda, yadda, I really got convicted that I need to eat more eggs. They are hands down the cheapest source of valuable protein out there. My beloved and tolerant wife bought a carton of 30 medium eggs at Kroger for about a dollar (I don't know who these manager's are, but I love their specials).
You can't beat that for cheap muscle food. I've even been blending raw eggs into my protein shakes, which actually works really well (and before you Salmonella alarmist people start up, you can keep it to yourself and tell me "I told you so", when I tweet from the ER with food poisoning). In short, after seeing the light, I've decided to shoot to consume a dozen eggs per day. A lofty but worthy goal in my opinion, my motto is going to be "eat six and drink six". I'm pretty sure I can do it.

Anyway, back to Oprah... So Oprah begins to interview members of her staff who have done the vegan diet and everyone begins talking about how much weight they've lost and how much better their bowel movements are, etc (seriously, apparently everyone is constipated). All I want to do is jump through the TV and remind everyone that any period of starvation and malnutrition will cause weight loss. Nothing will make the scale go down like quality, hard earned skeletal muscle having to cannibalize itself because you are to righteous to eat a steak (or at least some fish, fish are barely even animals).

The grand finale was when the anemic girl (Kathy) shows a picture of her with her neutered, tired, sad-eyed, bag of flesh she calls a husband. He obviously has sat through one to many PETA propaganda videos and now deeply regrets his choice in trophy wife, so pray for Tom and eat a steak for him.


The diet is going just fine. Last night before bed I walked over to my sweet old dog, scratched her behind the ears, looked in her eyes and reminded her that my appetite is more important than her life....

1 comment:

Timeflies said...

9 pounds just like that... You make me sick! Meanwhile, I had a beautifully prepared hamburger in honor or Kathy and poor neutered Tom tonight.